Wednesday, August 31, 2011

[40K] Adepticon Already?


This week, our 40K group started a new league. This time around, it's an Adepticon League. The idea behind this is to give those that want to go some practice at the point level and experience in the general type of scenarios likely to be played there.

So while everyone else is talking about the NOVA Open and how they did there, we're looking forward to spring and even going to far as to discuss a potential travelling team.


The sign up table amuses me pretty seriously- the "Captain" position stayed open and people signed up UNDER it. No one wanted that "title". It was a giant game of "not it". Finally Paul volunteered, but it was funny watching the guys try to avoid "being in charge" at all costs.

In all fairness, no one will really be in charge. The idea is the Captain will be the point of contact and help get the ball rolling for when and if the guys decide to go up for the Tournament.

We talked a little about lists and painting. For our league, the lists don't have to be static at the moment. The idea is to be able to adjust as you play to help you get a better build as well as learn to play more efficiently.  Additionally,  we're not being too uptight about paint levels either, but I know that some of our interested players are looking at their "grey, grey and grey" armies with a little trepidation in anticipation of going "up north". (We're south of the tournament location by about 2 hours.)

There were no "take backs" or "do overs" this week, which was a little different than how we generally do it. It certainly wasn't cut throat, but it was a different from how many of us operate.  One of my pals pretty much swore himself  blue because he forgot to use Living Lightning. He was good natured about it, but he was certainly aware of his mistake.

Right now, it sounds like they all want to go and play as individuals, rather than try to do the Team Tournament. However, I do know that there was at least one guy who would like to do Teams as well.

I'd love to hear from those of you that have gone to Adepticon- what was your experience like? What helped you "get ready"? Was there anything you would like to have done differently? Any advice you want to share?

3 comments:

  1. It was fun, but my not be worth the cost for some. Also don't go expecting to WIN IT ALL, just go expecting to not finish last. That way it is a more enjoyable time playing toy soldiers.

    It can be humbling for those players that think they are the best, especially if they always win their local games.

    Still if you have the money and time then go once at least to get a sense of a hard core tournament, to see a lot of great armies and play some games versus some new and interesting people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went for the first time this year and I had a blast! I played in both the 40k championships and the team tournament and all of my games were fun and none of my opponents were douches. 8 games was a lot in two days though so it was a bit exhausting! Also there were vendors everywhere so its really easy to get a little spend happy.

    All in all I had a great time and can't wait for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. :-) In a way I am kind of looking forward to heading back up there since I used to play up there in the ancient (3rd ed) times... So, yes, my army will be painted and ready and should I win that's great, else at least I get to play some games... No illusions of winning it all of course, but playing with a whole different crowd makes it interesting I think... Maybe this time I won't burn out after a few tournies :-)

    ReplyDelete